Monday, December 14, 2015

Is it near yet?

by Justin Shrum

In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” (Matthew 3:1-2).

********************
 
Near is an adverb or adjective used in relation to time or distance, and people use that term in many different ways.  We say phrases like “dinner is drawing near” or “that cat keeps coming near me” or even “Christmas is nearly here.”  However, the use of near is completely subjective in the mind of the person speaking and of the person receiving the message. 

Growing up I would ask to open my presents before Christmas.  My mother would say, “Not yet, darling; Christmas is nearly here.”  In the mind of my mother, “near” was December 1 onward.   “Near” for me was when the first present showed up under the tree.

As John was baptizing at the Jordan River, what did “near” mean to him?  Did John consider “near” being when his cousin Jesus would begin his ministry of saving souls and forgiving sins?  How did the people of Israel, hearing John’s message, understand “near”?   God had come near to his people in the person of Jesus. 

Jesus is near and dear to our hearts because his kingdom is present within us.  His kingdom is near right now because his providential hand is with you and me every minute of every day in every place on earth and in every situation.  
  1. How has Jesus demonstrated his “nearness” to you today?
  2. How can you apply John’s words -- “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” -- to your life of sanctification?

Heavenly Father, thank you for drawing me near to you.  Let me never doubt your presence; you are not an absent God but my merciful and loving king who rules in my life for my eternal good.  With all the saints on earth and hosts of heaven, I cry out “Come, Lord Jesus, come!” Amen.

Justin Shrum is serving as vicar at St. John Lutheran Church, Minneapolis MN.


This month The Electric Gospel is featuring devotions penned for a booklet called The Coming of Christ: Promise Made, Promise Kept.  To access the full book of Advent messages (including the one above by Justin Shrum), go to the Seasonal Devotions page of MLC Publications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment