Friday, May 16, 2014

God puts an end to our pride

Deyi Shi is a young friend of mine from China, who now resides in Madison WI.  God brought him from atheism to Christian faith, and he continues to grow in spiritual vibrancy and wisdom.  Recently it was Deyi's turn to deliver a chapel devotion on our campus, and he asked me for some input while he was working on his message.  He graciously has given his permission to share his chapel talk here with you on The Electric Gospel blog.

Served by Jesus, we are servants
by Deyi Shi

Five years ago, I was baptized. I never thought myself to be the religious kind until God reached out to me. Prior to my rebirth, my whole life revolved around myself. The sole motivation of my life was my pride and the desire to be better than everyone else. It was a miracle that God grabbed me with his hands and plucked me away from the devil I had inside. When I was lost, hopeless and afflicted by the spiritual emptiness, God showed me the way through his word. He chose me, a guy who once thought he was his own god, to be his servant.
To this day, pride is still a big problem for me. Just a few weeks ago, when studying the 1st Commandment in a Bible class, I was asked, “What are some things that you worship other than God?” My immediately thought was myself. When I look into a mirror, I see myself as the center of the world. Although I am no longer the completely godless person I once was, I am still a sinner. I still put myself before others and even before God. I still often forget what the word “humble” means when I say and do things. I still think my way is better than other people’s ways.
How many times have you thought to yourself that you are way better than that guy? It is a great temptation for us, Christians, to feel superior to those who don’t believe what we believe. We are proud of ourselves because God has declared us his saints. We pat ourselves on our back for going to church and doing such and such in God’s name. We treat God’s gift to us as our trophy, as something that makes us better than others.
However, as we immerse ourselves in our pride, we overlook what Jesus’ taught us. We read (John 13:1-17) that Jesus, as the almighty Son of God, washed the feet of his servants. At the time, people wore sandals without socks. The road was dirty and rough, and probably with animal feces lying around. The job of washing others’ feet was done by the servant of the lowest level. Yet, Jesus, the King of kings, humbled himself and became a lowly servant of all. If there is anyone who can be boastful and full of pride, it is Jesus. As the Son of God, he deserves all the glory in this universe. Yet, he chose to serve not to be served. His servitude reflects his infinite love for all – his love for Judas who betrayed him, for the disciples who abandoned him, and for Peter who denied him.  Peter did not understand why Jesus, the Son of God, had to do something this lowly. He tried to refuse Jesus’ offer. But he did not know that Jesus would do something a hundred times more humiliating the next day, to die on the cross as a criminal. Peter wanted Jesus to be glorious and majestic. He thought he knew better than Jesus. Jesus replied to him, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” Instead of condemning Peter, Jesus invited him to be part of him. He showed him his great love for all not only by words but deeds. He loved all and was willing to be the servant of all and to die in their place on the cross.
Jesus’ life, death and resurrection supplied us the righteousness we lack. He answers our pride with his humility and love. And we, in faith, respond in love and humility. When we boast and take pride in ourselves, we think about Jesus taking off his garment, humbling himself, and washing his disciples’ feet with gentleness and respect. Now I’m not telling you to go wash other people’s feet like Jesus did, but have the servant attitude of Jesus. Next time when you think that you are better than that guy, you remember that Jesus loves him as much as he loves you. Do not despise others for who they are, but show them that Jesus’ love is in you, so that they may know how much Jesus loves them. This is what it means to be part of God’s great love. It is his love that motivates us. It is his love that he covers our sin with his own blood.



No comments:

Post a Comment