Friday, June 13, 2014

Encouraging one another in worship

In my religion classes this past year, I showed students a letter from a church that aimed at improving church attendance.  But that letter (used in an actual congregation) did so in an exceedingly harsh and judgmental way.  I asked students to critique that letter or write a replacement letter.  Candace Hoefert wrote a letter with a wonderfully gentle and encouraging spirit.  I urge you to read it ... and to attend worship this weekend!  :-)

The Electric Gospel


An invitation to church

by Candace Hoefert

Dear members of the church, called to be faithful to the Lord,

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).

Isn’t that joyous news? God has forgiven us of our sins through his Son Jesus! This is something we want to share to one another and remind each other daily. Unfortunately we don’t have somewhere we can get together every single day to remind ourselves of this joyous news, but we do have somewhere we can gather at least once a week to praise our Lord for this gift he has given to all of us!

I know, you think that I’m here to preach to you about how you should attend church every Sunday and it is a sin to not be in church … but that’s not why I’m writing you this.  It is not for me to question someone’s faith based solely on their church attendance.  There are some circumstances that don’t allow for regular attendance and no one should automatically assume that because someone isn’t in church it’s because they don’t believe Christ’s word.  But the benefit of having a close community with your church is immeasurable – a family of believers who all look out for one another in love, strengthening and supporting each other in their faith and building each other up. These are things that are hard to find on your own outside the church. I encourage everyone to attend church because of that sense of family, the sense of belonging.  Christ promised us, “Where two or three gather in my name, there I am with them” (Matthew 18:20).  The opportunity to worship together with other believers surrounded by God is an incalculable sense of comfort.

You never know who in your congregation may need your faith and your smile to help them have a better day, to perhaps strengthen them in their own faith. The lives that I could change by sharing my faith among a community of believers is of great motivation to me. You don’t have to be a minister in order to be a worker of the gospel. Christ gave the command to all of us to “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation” (Mark 16:15).  This wasn’t just for your pastors or teachers, but the whole nation of believers, for me and for you.

Therefore I urge you in the brotherly love of our Savior to come and share your faith with one another in the Word. You have something to offer that no one else does, your own faith and your person and your unique experiences with God’s love in your life.  Rejoice with those who will joyfully say to you, “Let us go to the house of the Lord” (Psalm 122:1).




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Candace. Amen! Gospel motivation to obey the law which will always reap spiritual benefits and blessings. I hope many in our synod will read your Spirit-filled exhortation and be Spirit-driven to encourage each other likewise. I attend worship service every week because the Bible exhorts me to join my fellow believers in worship and praise and to eat and drink together our Savior's body and blood - testifying to His death and resurrection until He comes again. Christian fellowship is for the encouragement and edification of believers whom we know will endure trial and persecution in these Last Days. In other words - I agree! - I do not attend church because of the scoldings I have heard (in the past) from a few of our pulpits to be in church every single Sunday. Thank you, Lord, for Candace's testimony to your unconditional love and grace. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comment, Karen. I'm hoping eventually we'll see more people adding comments on this blog, so it's nice of you to get things going in that direction!

    ReplyDelete