Saturday, July 22, 2017

A letter to my son

Author's name withheld for privacy

A mother penned this letter to her son, a young adult who has been through much and has pulled away from church.  May we all heed this appeal to love -- and forgive -- one another more fully in the church.

********************

My dearest son,

Many years ago, before you or your sisters were born, your father and I took a Bible class through church.  I am not sure what the topic was, but I will never forget the statement the pastor said. He said, "I can't wait to get to heaven, as I have so many questions for God." All I could think was there must be something wrong with me, as I have no questions. I felt that when I get to heaven all I will say is, "Thank you." ... Boy has that changed.

We have been through so much, and life has certainly not been easy for you, most of all.  My question for God now would be, "Why did my beautiful children, especially my son, have to suffer so much?"  I know that we were never promised a 'charmed' life as Christians.  In fact, we were told the opposite. As Christians we will suffer for our faith.  But why you, my sweet boy?

When your Christian friends were cyber-bullying you, and a Christian mother was talking about you negatively to others, it was nearly backbreaking. You chose then to stop going to church.  You felt that if this is how Christians act, then you didn't want any part of it.  It is hard to argue with that; but blaming sinful people for their sins is one thing, blaming God is another.

I know that you have faith. We still talk about God, but not enough. You know that God loves you. You have gone through hell and back ... but the main point is that you came back. You couldn't have done that without God's help. God has given you a new life, a new outlook, a new hope. He has never left you. You have started over with so many things in your life to get to this point; it is time to start over with your attitude about those people that hurt you. Yes, they were and still are Christians; but they are also sinners. God has forgiven even the worst sins that you and I have ever done. Don't you think that it is time to forgive them?

I was angry too. But, that anger is sinful when we hold onto it, when we use it as a punishment. Forgiveness may be selfish, a way to make ourselves feel better, but it is also necessary to show love to God's people.  Jesus' beloved disciple John said, "Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters" (1 John 3:15-16).  My only real job on this earth was to make sure you and your sisters get to heaven. I want to be with you someday in eternity. Find forgiveness in your heart and come back to church.

All my love,

Mom

1 comment: