Saturday, April 12, 2014

Devotional thoughts for Holy Week

Jen Bir shares an article pondering the various symbols we see as we go through Holy Week.  Blessings to all of you as you worship in your own settings during these days of remembrance.
The Electric Gospel


The Symbols of Holy Week

by Jennifer Birr


            As I enter church on Palm Sunday, I feel a different atmosphere than the Sundays before. It is the beginning of the end of the Lenten season. The church has now entered Holy Week. The first difference I notice as I walk towards the sanctuary is that palm branches are everywhere. The branches are being handed out at the door, they are spread down the aisle, and they are all around the altar. This reminds me of Jesus triumphant entry into Jerusalem with everyone shouting, “Hosanna!” However, I wonder why the believers of the time used palm branches. Thinking back to Old Testament times, God had commanded his people to celebrate many different festivals to remind them of all God had done and will do for them. The Festival of Tabernacles (sometimes referred to as Festival of Booths) began by using branches from leafy trees, often palm trees.  Old Testament believers would use these branches to “rejoice before the Lord” (Leviticus 23:33-44).  These branches were not only used on Palm Sunday, but they had been used all throughout Old Testament times to praise and thank God.

            As church ends, I head back to my dorm and college life. I check my planner and the list of homework and chores to finish before I get to go home for the long Easter weekend. My mind moves from the triumphant ride into Jerusalem to lesson plans and geography homework. I go throughout my week doing the normal routine of class, chapel, time with friends and the added excitement of seeing my family in a few days. Finally, class is over and I throw my duffel bag into my car and head home to find the hard-boiled eggs waiting to be dyed. Yet another symbol of Easter I have seen every year of my life. The egg represents life coming from something dead. The chick breaks out of the shell just as Jesus broke out of the tomb. The eggs are plastered with bright colors to represent the bright colors of the sunrise on that glorious morning.


            I enjoy my free time at home and then return to my home congregation for Maundy Thursday (“maundy” meaning “commandment” - look at John 13:34). The altar is no longer covered in purple, which represents the royalty of Jesus; it is now covered in white. The color was changed to white to represent the holiness of the Lord’s Supper. As I look around, I also see grapes and wheat on one of the banners and a lamb on the other. These symbols remind me of the Lord’s Supper (which was instituted on Maundy Thursday) and the Passover. Jesus and the disciples were gathered to celebrate the Passover when Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper. The Lord’s Supper is how Jesus shares his love with us in a physical way. The Passover was also a physical sign for the Old Testament believers to remember how death passed over the houses of the Israelites while in Egypt. Now to New Testament believers, the Lord’s Supper is a celebration of how eternal death passes over us because of what Jesus has done for us. A lamb reminds me of the sacrifice of Jesus and it ties his death to the Passover lamb that was to be sacrificed. Just as the lamb was to be sacrificed for the sins of Old Testament believers, Jesus is being sacrificed as the fulfillment of what that lamb prophesied, as a sacrifice for all people.

            At the very end of the service the altar is stripped by the altar guild. The altar is a representation of Jesus, and it is stripped in remembrance of how Jesus clothes were taken and divided among the soldiers (John 19:17-27). The women carefully remove all of the paraments and after the congregation has some personal reflection time, everyone leaves the sanctuary in silence. I take that time to think about what Jesus did in my place and how because of my sin Jesus was put through such pain, torture, and death.

            Once again, I head home for some more family time. I am a lot more somber after leaving church than I was the last time I left. The next day I find myself coming to church once again. Now it is Good Friday and that somber feeling has not left the church. “Good” always seemed like a weird word to use to describe this day. However, “good” is an old expression for holy. The Holy Friday that Jesus is put to death makes more sense to me. The altar is now covered in black representing the darkness of death and sin in the world. The light of the world is now being put to death.


            There are many symbols throughout my church on Good Friday such as the crown of thorns, cross, nails, I. N. R. I., and a spear. All of these symbols seen throughout the church on Good Friday are right out of the account of Jesus death (John 19). The I. N. R. I. found on many banners during Lent are the letters placed on the board on the top of Jesus’ cross, abbreviating four Latin words, “Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum” which means Jesus King of the Jews. The last, most impactful symbol of Good Friday is the loud noise heard at the end of the service. My pastor slams the Bible shut and this noise reminds me of the closing of Jesus’ grave. He is dead. It is finished. I solemnly leave church and head home.

            Saturday is full of preparations for the family meal on Sunday. All the decorations are out and ready. The food is prepped and in the fridge. The candy dishes are full. It is time for me to go to bed in order for me to get up bright and early for sunrise service. Morning comes. My mother, sister and I are in are Easter dresses while my father and brother are in their nice dress shirts. Entering the church is a completely different atmosphere than it was on Friday when I left. The church is full of bright colors and the organ is playing joyous Easter hymns. The altar is full of Easter lilies. The lilies remind be of Jesus resurrection because a beautiful flower blooms from a seemingly dead bulb. Under the Easter lilies are the white garments covering the altar. Jesus is now arisen in his perfect glory and the light is back in the world again. That is why the clean color of perfection is used. The cross is now draped with a white cloth to represent the burial cloth of Jesus. The Paschal Candle is now lit at the front of church, used to show how Christ who is the Light of the world has overcome all darkness. He is risen! He is risen indeed!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment