Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why I go to church

by Rebecca Hinderman
Someone she knows (who who doesn’t attend church) asked Rebecca why she goes to church.
Rebecca wrote this wonderful letter in response to the question. 

***************

When you asked me, “Why do you go to church?” so many thoughts were racing through my head.  I apologize for the short, incomplete answer I gave you.  I am writing this letter to share fully what it means to be a Christian and why I go to church.

Starting with the word “church.” It’s not just a building or a group; it’s a family of fellow believers in Jesus Christ. We gather to worship and praise our Savior for what he has done for us – not because we have to but because we want to. We learn about Jesus, our need for salvation, sin, the power of the devil, forgiveness, love, the grace of God, and so much more.  All this we find in the Bible, our instruction manual for life.  Christians believe the Bible is God’s word.  Even though there are many authors throughout the Bible, it is the true word of God;  God-breathed, so to speak.

God’s word shows us how we are all sinful from birth.  “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me” (Psalm 51:5). We are all sinful not just by our actions, but also by our thoughts and words.

Our sinful nature was inherited from Adam and Eve who committed the first sin. Because of sin and our human inability to earn forgiveness, we are all condemned to death and hell.  I know this is a strong, powerful statement.  This truth should rattle us to the core.  But there is a way to be right and sinless before God.  God, through his love and grace, sent his Son Jesus to suffer and die the death we all deserve.  Jesus was our substitute and saved us from our sins. “Look, the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29).  We now appear to God as perfect and sinless as Jesus was.

The gift of salvation through Jesus is the gift of God’s great love for us.  This great love--this grace-- goes beyond our human understanding. The love and forgiveness God has given me is why I go to church.  I want to thank him and praise his name for the gift of salvation given through Jesus.  Knowing the truth of his love has moved me to share that truth with you and others.  Attending church services gives me strength and support, a time to rest my soul and focus on what is truly important.

Without this renewed strength and focus, I can become easy prey for the devil.  The Bible says, “Be self-controlled and alert for your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). We are all weak and vulnerable to the devil’s deceitful ways and can get sucked into situations and relationships that are harmful to our souls. Slowly, so subtly, we can be moved away from Christ and the saving gift of grace.  It can be a battle both external and internal.  What weapons do we have to ward off this attack? The answer again is God’s word – the Bible.  God’s Holy Spirit will work in our hearts and minds to strengthen us and create faith as we read the Bible.  Even a little each day, a short chapter, gives the Holy Spirit the opportunity to work its work in us.  Knowing this gives me such peace and comfort as well as the boldness to talk about the truths of God’s word.

The first disciples, by the power of the Holy Spirit, began preaching and teaching the message of salvation through Jesus Christ.  What unshakable faith they had! They endured much suffering and persecution as well as being put to death for their beliefs.  Rejection of the salvation message was as commonplace then as it is today.    

Still, I will speak up and risk your rejection of me and God’s word. Why would I still do this? You are too important.  You are God’s creation.  He desires you as his dear child. I pray through me you will feel his love for you, understand his word and believe in Jesus as your Savior from sin.

All I have said are God’s truths. I am not forcing any expectations on you nor am I putting myself above you. We have all messed up, sinned, knowingly or unknowingly. One person is no better than the next.

I invite you to join me anytime to attend church services and learn more for yourself. We also have a Bible study time. During this time we look at certain sections of Bible or specific topics and read what God says about such things. It’s a time to ask questions and learn in a non-judgmental small setting.

I will continue to pray for you and value your friendship. Thank you for your question and I hope my answers have aroused some curiosity and move you to come and learn about Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment