Saturday, August 1, 2015

Comfort from 2nd Corinthians

by Michael Loescher

Paul’s second inspired letter to the Christians at Corinth begins with these words:  “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows” (2 Corinthians 1:3-5).
As an assignment connected to reading 2nd Corinthians, I ask students to select verses from 2nd Corinthians that they find particularly comforting or reassuring and offer comment and prayer.  Here’s a sample of such “Comfort from 2nd Corinthians.”

******************

·         2 Corinthians 1:3,4 - “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”
o   As human beings we are bombarded by new situations and consequences every day bringing about new troubles, and it’s nice having reassurance and comfort from God. It’s a nice thing to lean back on, because at the end of the day, a person can always say it’s going to be okay. If I was an unbeliever I don’t know how I would cope with troubles – possible in very bad ways. Since it’s so reassuring to have God’s promise, I can see how it could be very refreshing to suddenly come to know his promise in a world with no hope otherwise. And that is where we come in to share the message.

·         2 Corinthians 2:14 – “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.”
o   God always leads us in triumphal procession?  it struck me that we might say Christians are not triumphant in any way. We don’t lead parades through our hometowns on Christmas day as a victorious football team after the Super Bowl. So what is this triumphant procession? It is the power of God shown through our faith in daily life, which is always evident and is never conquered by evil. We can be persecuted, but on the last day it will be clear, to all our triumph.

·         2 Corinthians 4:16 – “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”
o   Our human bodies are so fragile physically, mentally, and emotionally. I expect to have a hip replacement sometime in my adulthood, and past years have been an interesting and challenging experience trying to do my best in sports. My hip is just one of a few injured areas I have granted myself, very possibly more or worse instances to come. But put aside all earthly troubles and consequences whatever they may be; being thankful and treasuring God’s grace can lay those to rest and make us stronger, as we look forward to our salvation.

·         2 Corinthians 6:17-18 – “’Therefore come out from them and be separate,’ says the Lord. ‘Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.’ ‘I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters.’”
o   How powerful and comforting it can be though if you really think about it, that God the creator of the universe wants to be our Father and love us as such!

·         2 Corinthians 12:9,10 – “’My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
o   God’s grace is perfect for us. In weakness, we humans can make rash decisions and fret over not being good enough at this or that. But as Christians we can live at peace, doing our best and when worse comes to worst and we find out we are nothing, we still know that we have a Savior who loves us and created us as unique, destined to fulfill many purposes, even if we don’t see it at the moment.


Dear Lord, author and creator of the universe. I am sorry for the sins that I consistently commit. My thoughts go places where they shouldn’t, I seek useless or even unhealthy earthly treasures. I am capable of great wrongdoings. Thank you, Lord, for granting me forgiveness for my foolish acts, and help me to seek first your kingdom and to treasure most of all your love and promise, before all earthly pleasures. Help me also, Lord, to power through troubles and temptations in this world and in the end be strengthened and overjoyed by your grace of salvation. Give me comfort in the fact that you are my loving Father in all your power and might, and when the last day comes and we have run the race you marked out for us, lead us in our triumphal procession to eternal bliss in heaven. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment