Thursday, February 2, 2017

Who are you?

A dear soul wrote this article for a class with me.  She was shy about sharing it here online, but allowed me to do so if I posted it anonymously.  If you appreciate the message, be sure to leave a comment by clicking on the "comments" link at the bottom of the post.  The writer will be encouraged to know her words meant something to you.


The Value of Your Name

What’s your name? If you’re anything like the typical human being, you’ve been asked this question so many hundreds of times you’ve lost count. In fact, you’ve been asked this question so many times your response has become automatic. It’s been automatic for a while.

“Hello, what’s your name?”

“I’m ______.”   Fill it in how you’ve been filling it in for your entire life. With your name.

Names are powerful things. I think in our modern culture today, we’ve really lost the magic and meaning that names have. Now don’t get me wrong, plenty of our modern day names still sound great, and they’re great names. But sometimes I wonder if many of the names people have today really mean something. For example, Suzannah means “Lilly of the Valley.” Peter means “Rock.” You get the picture. I wonder if people even know what their name means. If you don’t know already, go ahead right now and look it up.

Now I’m going to ask you a different question. What does your name mean? What does it say about you?

We all have different names for ourselves, depending on the context and situation. I’m sure you have plenty of names. Take a minute. What are you called? What do you go by? What do those names say about you? Names are powerful, so think about it. Think about it.

I have one more question for you. Who are you?

If you answered that question with your name, you’re only sorta getting it.

Before I explain what I mean by that, let me clarify. By all means, your name is part of who you are. Maybe I should italicize a different word there, though. Your name is part of who you are. Certainly, it tells a lot about you. It has a story behind it. It tells about you, and that’s pretty awesome.

But the answer to that question is more than that, because there is one name that we haven’t mentioned yet. And it’s the most important name you could ever, ever have. It was given to you by the One who cared more about you than anyone else who has ever lived. More than you could ever imagine. He gave you a name. He called you Beloved.

Take a moment and look up one more name. Your name. The name the Savior of the world gave you. What does your name mean? Who are you? Take a look at Galatians 4:7 - “So you are no longer a slave, but God's child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.”

You are called God’s “dearly loved” (Ephesians 5:1). You are his beloved.

Maybe you’re going through a sort of Identity crisis right now. Maybe you don’t really know how to answer that last question. But I can tell you the one name you can never change. The identity you can never lose. A beloved child of God. Don’t lose hope. Don’t lose your worth. Because if you find your worth and identity in Christ, you have more worth than the brightest diamond in the sky.

4 comments:

  1. I so very much like the personal and affirming nature of this devotional item. I wish I could include the paragraph in which the author riffed a bit on her own name and nicknames, but she's a very private person and insisted we omit that part! That's okay, though; the overall good news in the message is all still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the author agreed to have this posted. Wonderful message, and very relatable and easy to read writing style. Keep writing, dear sister in Christ. Maybe you could even get yourself a pseudonym (hmmm... interesting thought, given the topic of this devotion) so you can keep sharing your gift! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to define myself by the work I do -- and then when I don't do such a good job, or fall behind, I question my personal value and worth. That's when I need this exact reminder of who I am and where my true value lies. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be so easy to get lost in the hustle-and-bustle of this world, to get caught up in what the world is telling us to do, what to say, and how to define ourselves. I'm guilty of that every day. Thanks so much for the reminder that our number one identity - the identity that truly matters - is not of this world, but instead is with Jesus. Always Jesus.
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete