Tuesday, May 16, 2017

An eternal hope ... which sustains our hope now

by Morgan Shevey


I asked students in my New Testament course to create a dialogue using key doctrines, content and applications from the Bible book of Philippians, encouraging someone to stay strong in their faith.

Here's one of those conversations, created by Morgan Shevey.

*********************

Casey and Taylor, a pair of good friends, are out for lunch.  They are enjoying catching up on each other’s lives. Casey begins talking about her new role as children’s choir director at her church and Taylor falls silent. Casey asks if everything is okay.

Casey: “You look uneasy – as soon as I brought up church.  Are there problems at your congregation, Taylor?”

Taylor: “I’m not attending church anymore.  I don’t think I believe in God anymore.”

Casey: “I didn’t know you were struggling with your faith. Why do you think you no longer have faith?”

Taylor: “There are so many horrible things that are happening all over the world. There is a shooting somewhere in the state, another terrorist attack occurs in Europe, and politicians are pointlessly arguing over health care once again. It does not seem like God cares enough to get rid of all of the evil in the world.”

Casey: “I know things often seem too horrible to bear. But we are encouraged to rejoice in all of the hardships and invited to bring all of our requests to God in prayer. By doing this, we will find peace even though bad things happen” (Philippians 4:4-7).

Taylor: “That doesn’t make sense to rejoice. How are we supposed to be happy when horrible things are happening?”

Casey: “God’s wisdom, power, and love are so much greater than any of our human abilities. We can have confidence that he will see us through anything.”

Taylor: “I don’t see God’s love though.”

Casey: “The world did when Jesus died on the cross.  We keep looking to Jesus’ cross for our hope.  Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice and completely conquered death for our sakes.”

Taylor: “I know that much.  But I still can’t get over worrying about all of the evil we see in the world.”

Casey: “Focusing on earthly problems can be dangerous for our souls. Those who are worried about earthly contentment often have no hope. Christ gained heavenly citizenship for us so that we have eternal hope. He eagerly waits for us to join him there – and that sustains our hope now” (Philippians 3:19-20).

Taylor: “But what do we do in the meantime?  Heaven seems a long way away.”

Casey: “Many believers of the past have struggled with all the trouble and opposition faced in this life. But they were able to stay strong through the Word of God. By standing up to the opposition they encountered, these believers showed they were confident that they would be saved by God (Philippians 1:28).  We can be reassured of salvation and face this life’s problems head-on with the same confidence.”

Taylor: “I appreciate you talking to me about this. Would you be willing to continue this conversation another time?  I’ve got to get going for an appointment I have.”

Casey: “I would be more than happy to talk some more! We can even meet for a Bible study or talk to a pastor if you are comfortable doing that.”

Taylor: “Yes, maybe.  Thank you for caring about me and showing concern for my faith.  I haven’t felt that from many people before.”

Casey: “Well, let’s make this the beginning of caring for each other much more!”

No comments:

Post a Comment